Sunday, September 20, 2009

Ace of Cakes eat your heart out

Okay, I'm proud of this cake. Did not expect it to go so well or that I would actually enjoy the whole process. But it was tons of fun to make - and turned out pretty sweet too.

Cole wanted to have a Hawaiian-Luau-Beach party for his birthday this year. Yes his birthday is in December, but we decided to have it a few months early to avoid the Christmas craziness. Plus he's had it all planned for months already. Cole is a great party planner. He knew exactly what he wanted to do and have. (More on his party later, this is about the cake.) Anyway, Cole wanted to have a volcano cake, so this is what we came up with. The base of the cake is funfetti cake mix and the volcano is chocolate. The volcano is handcrafted using cake, cupcakes, and a good amount of frosting with oreo cookies crumbled about. The exploding lava is melted cinnamon disks that we shaped into lava spurts. This was tons of fun and made our house smell of strong cinnamon- it felt like Christmastime. Isn't it cool :). Then during the celebration we put some water and dry ice in a small lid I fashioned in the top of the volcano and watched it steam and explode. It was so much fun. The kids loved it. They also enjoyed eating a volcano too.

This was fun. I enjoyed it. Who knew I had it in me. Not me :)





2 comments:

Shayne and Leslee said...

That is awesome! Isn't is crazy what we moms can churn out sometimes? I barely recognize Cole! He is so big! Looks like lots of fun :)

Jon Smith said...

That's incredible Julie, way to pull off the best cake ever. I didn't know Cole was a party planner, you must have taught him your ways. I've always been really bad at planning parties, or anything for that matter. I'm so glad you're still posting regularly, we love the updates and you always have cool kid things that happen.