Friday, July 24, 2009

A series of unfortunate events

So, I was really looking forward to the month of June- school's out, summertime, relax, pool, relax, and play. But life decided on something else.

First, I got in a very dumb, annoying car accident right in our neighborhood. I was driving the van, following some wonderful teenagers in a truck. All of a sudden they pull off to the right and turn around right in front of me to go the other direction on the road. Didn't slow down, didn't look both ways for cars, just pulled out right in front of me. The front of my van ran right into the driver's side door of their truck. Uhhhhhh! Such a pain. 16 year old driver...... poor guy. The front of my van munched up, damage to the engine and a/c, etc. At least no one was hurt. We thought it would be an easy repair, but get the phone call that our van has been declared totaled. What?!?! We were counting down the months until it was going to be paid off! (only 4 months to go) Darn. Had to go shopping for a new vehicle. Not fun. For the month of June we were using Nick's 4 door car which didn't even fit our whole family together. One night we had tickets to the circus, which was really a fabulous time, but we had to have our friends bring one of our children in their car with them :)



Our poor van. I know- it doesn't look that bad. Such great memories in that car, I was sad to see it go.

Next- I've been putting off the dentist since I've had children. Not a good idea, but who has time for the dentist? One of my least favorite places to be and I have incredibly awful teeth. It can't have anything to do with all the sweets I eat....

So, I finally went for my cleaning since the enitre left side of my mouth was chronically aching. Can't be good. I'll spare you the details because I'm embarrassed. Let's just say I had to have way more than one crown put on, and quickly since we were going out of town for most of July. The dentist wanted to get it all done before I left so I wouldn't have to deal with temporary crowns. Not a good idea to do them all at the same time. Five hours at the dentist and I'm still a little sore. My mouth is trying to recover. Not to mention my pocketbook :(



Instead of showing you pics of my beautiful teeth, I'll show something that makes me much more happy. My pink hibiscus flowers in the backyard. I love these, they are so pretty. (forget the days troubles, remember the days blessings)

And finally- the big bang. Brace yourself, this one is pretty gruesome. Sunday evening. A beautiful, relaxing, peaceful evening in the backyard with the family. I love Sundays. The kids are actually happy and playing nicely. Cole and Eric are jumping on the trampoline. Yes, I said the trampoline. For those of you who swear against the trampoline just skip this now, I don't need a lecture. For me, the trampoline is a good thing. My kids are entertained for hours and hours on it. Anyway, Cole and Eric are doing front flips on the trampoline. Not a good thing with more than one person on the tramp. That won't be done again. Cole does a front flip and I guess comes around full force and puts his foot through Eric's mouth. Eric starts screaming, I run over to stop the blood and find out where it's coming from. While I'm wiping up Eric's mouth Cole says "there's a tooth on the trampoline". Oh no, a tooth knocked out, how totally awful. I get the bleeding stopped and notice there's a cut above Eric's lip.... and I can see through the cut into his mouth! Ohhhhh, horrible. Calmly I say "Go get dad, go get dad". He takes a quick look and off to the emergency room they go.

I was sick inside. My poor Eric. I just felt awful. The emergency room went really quite quickly and smoothly. A plastics specialist was called in to do some fancy schmancy stitch work. Eric was consciously sedated which was a wild experience for him. He told me things were flying around and there was two of everything. He didn't really enjoy it but was very brave and did a great job. While they were there, I was in the backyard with the other kiddos cleaning up and noticed another tooth on the trampoline. Yikes! Two teeth knocked out. This is getting serious.

Well, Eric came home, he had a gigantic fat lip for a few days and couldn't eat very well, but was a trooper. He is actually pretty proud of his missing teeth and tough-guy scar. Since the accident he's healed up beautifully. The dentist said that this was the best time for the accident to happen- before the permanant teeth had come in. So, hey, I guess it's not that bad. Just another really amazing hit to the pocketbook.

(you won't want to look at these pictures if you're squeamish, or in the middle of a meal)









I know this isn't very nice of me, but I had to snap a quick picture before he left for the ER. This is fresh from the accident- tears and all. And I spared you the zoomed-in photo.

The next day.




I guess we must have been getting too comfortable with our kickback life and needed a few bumps in the road. I'll quickly move on from June '09 and soon blog the totally wonderful, much needed, so fun July vacation to Utah.

2 comments:

Jon Smith said...

Julie, those are some crazy stories. I don't recall ever hearing about the van, including during our long talk on the phone last night. Sorry to hear about it. Thanks for taking pictures of Eric right after the accident with tears and all, haha. Poor little monkeys jumping on the tramp, it's a dangerous toy, but I love it! — Jon

kallina said...

Ya, that's a rough month. I hate when you have to spend tons of money on things that weren't planned. We had a couple of those times in the last 6 months and I'm sure we'll have another hard hit when I finally go to the dentist too! At least we have the money to use on things we need to pay for even though we would rather get stuff we want.
I remember Jeni saying that they had just reached the savings amount they were working towards, and then Chad temporarily lost his job. She was frustrated (similar to your van situation), but I guess that's why we are asked to save. I thought it was great that they had saved that amount and then had hard times. We are very blessed. I'm glad you had a good attitude about all your hard stuff. I didn't ever hear you complain about any of it while you were here. Just stay positive, you'll be much happier. Joel