Wednesday, February 18, 2009

butterfly babies are born

After 3 weeks of waiting and watching, our butterflies have arrived! We woke up this morning to see two out of five butterflies just broken through their cocoons, and a third one emerged a few hours later. (Two others still on their way.)

This Christmas gift from Nana to Cole came in the mail with 5 tiny caterpillars in a small cup. We watched them grow big and fat, then hang upside down to wrap up in cocoons. We then transferred them to the mesh basket to watch and wait again. And now they're here. What an exciting day we've had today. The kids loved it.


Preparing flowers with sugar water for food.

Dropping water on another flower for food.





This video is so adorable. Ren loves to watch the butterflies.


***Here is the link for the butterfly kit. It is a cool activity and very simple to do. We really enjoyed growing the butterflies and will definitely do it again. Discovery Kids Butterfly Canopy

4 comments:

The Minnesota Preators said...

So fun to see your latest updates! You kids are just adorable and it is exciting to see glimpses of your family from so far away!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you've posted a lot since I last looked. Nice job. I love seeing pictures of your family and reading about your fun experiences - even though we just barely saw you! I'm glad you had one picture of Jer, I was wondering if he really was there or somewhere else. I was glad that Eric called me the other day and caught me up on all that was going on. He's so funny. Love you guys, Joel

Melissa said...

I LOVE that idea, I totally want a caterpillars-to-butterflies kit now!! And I don't have even have any children that would care about that yet. :) I love all your posts, Ren is so dang cute, as are all you kids, and I'm SO excited we get to see you all in just 3 weeks or so! I hope it's getting hot and toasty there, I'm ready for some fun in the sun. Let's chat soon!

Rob and Marci Peacock said...

That looks like so much fun! I would love to get those for my kids. Do you know where she got them?