Tuesday, November 10, 2009

the best things in life aren't things

Another trip to Utah, and it was a good one. Not too much planned, although every second was filled, mostly relaxed fun time with the family. Even Jon, Melissa, and Van were visiting from DC, so we were all together. The thing I love about my family is that we can be together just chillin' in the backyard and have a wonderful time.

Our first stop was in Cedar City (the hotel) for the St. George marathon. Melissa and her dad were the brave/crazy ones to run the race and it was so great to be there to cheer them on. Melissa did a fantastic job and came in earlier than we expected her to - we almost missed her! Way To Go Melissa! We got to stay in a hotel with my mom & dad and do some swimming and sleeping and watching General Conference. The kids always love that. Then off to the Bluffdale badlands (and neighboring towns)...

Here's some random fun:

Daddy-daughter duo. Still standing and looking good even after the race.


Another drive that almost never ends, we've got the routine down.


rest-stop just north of Flagstaff at Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument. We never knew this was here until Uncle Gery and Aunt Gail told us about it, so we stopped and stretched our legs. It was neat - the mountain was covered with black, hardened volcanic rock.

We followed the walking path and took a look out over the hole. We had a fun time running around, the weather was wonderful. (This is where Ren had a tumble and incurred the scrape on his nose that remained throughout the trip)



No, we didn't go on the deer hunt - the deer came to us! These big beauties were hiding from the hunters in my parents gully in the backyard. We had to take pictures of them to prove to Chad that we saw them. He was impressed.



Cole . Jensen . Drew


Ella on the swing in the gully


The witches at Gardner Village. We took my friend Mary and her kids Julia and Asher to see the witches. She is my best friend from Arizona who just moved to Utah. It was so great to see them and their new home and hang out together again. (Ella's not not sure about being so close ...)





Hanging out with Nana and Papa, feeding the ducks.

Papa, Ella, and Riddick


No, that's not a toy snake in the sandbox. Eric catches snakes wherever he goes, and has such a hard time letting them go.




This video is called giggling.
We were all laughing, even Nana and I. It was fun.



Catching up on our zzzzzzzzzzzz's


I caught these great photos of all four kids looking out the window to the temple. 10 years after being sealed in that Salt Lake Temple, we have four beautiful children in our forever family.



A perfect Friday afternoon spent picnic-ing and playing ball at the park with everyone! Such a wonderful time. My best friends and favorite people are in this group.


Family wiffle ball. We all played - the ladies took turns in between chasing the kiddos. We're even able to include the next generation who are getting real good too.


They never tire of the game, it keeps them young.


Cousins, Grandma Smith style - oldest to youngest in a line
cole eric jensen ella drew jayci ren van

the youngest cousin and the oldest cousin

(thanks, jon & melis, for some of these pics)




Joel is the best big brother we never had. He played ball for hours in the front room with Cole, Eric, Ella, and Ren. I'm not sure who enjoyed it more...




Eric and Joel were playing catch and throwing the ball as hard as they could back and forth. Thanks, Joel! We miss playing with you.


I didn't get a lot of pictures this trip, and we did many things that aren't photographed. It's always a highlight getting together at Jeremy and Kylie's home for dinner and playing with the cousins. We also spent one night at Justin and Breanne's home, and one at Jeni & Chad's place. Thanks so much for having us. The memories made will last a lifetime.

1 comment:

kallina said...

I didn't know you guys did so many things when you came. I'm glad it's worth it for you to keep taking the long trip. I love it when you come! I really did have tons of fun playing catch with your kids. I usually throw a ball to myself, so that was nice. I'll have to have my own kids so I can play all day!! Joel